Friday, February 11, 2005

A Response to "Tensions"

"Tensions" (John O'Keefe)

Kingdom in tension with Conversions:

Most of me wants to agree that there is a complete distinction between kingdom growth and conversion (church growth), but there is no way in my mind to do it. I think that treating people or even seeing people as an ends (numbers) is a travesty, but placing importance on conversion is a different thing. The Gospel is about life and life to the full. I think kingdom growth is more people coming to know what that true life is, where it comes from, and seeking the grace that gives them the faith to live that full life. The kingdom is not about numbers, but converts do make up the body that is the church. While growing in our faith (discipleship) is as important to the kingdom as new believers are, I know that God is more concerned with those who are not yet following Him (Luke 15:7).


Community in tension with Corporation:

This tension I do not see as a tension. In my opinion, there is little benefit to the business model of church other than price point. I struggled with this a lot because I saw so many great and godly organizations (and people) that were struggling financially. So many that if they just had the money and could run more efficiently they could do so much good. I also asked why so many things "Christian" had to be so poorly run and sloppy and unprofessional (unbusinesslike)?

What I have come to realize is that the church is not a business no matter how you look at it. No matter how careful you are, the more efficient things run the more people are left behind. The church has to move as slow as its slowest part because we are in it together. We must help each other and increase in speed and focus and direction together under the covering of our Lord, following in his footsteps. Buth the moment we start leaving people behind becuase it makes "good business sense" is the moment we have lost track of our true identity...community. God is in charge of our money, our converts, our disciples. Nothing we can do will change that and nothing we can do should change that.


Rhythm in tension with Schedule:

This is perhaps the hardest one for me. I live in the States, but my life is lived with an "event" mentality meaning that I move on to the next thing when the first thing is done, not when the clock strikes. I do have a palm and I have a schedule, but I am rarely on time and I am rarely on schedule. My palm acts more as a reminder and a priority list and my life acts accordingly. I am more concerned with people than with timing. You can call it rhythm, but I call it life. The problem is that most people here are offended by others being late and I must admit sometimes I am too. This is the tension I live within.

I want to draw the distinction between being late because of my relationships and being late becasue I am irresponsible. These are two very different situations and one is obviously not a point of discussion here. However, the other is very important. Do I value Dan or Dan's time less because I am in the midst of an important conversation with Emily? No, but how do I hold that in tension. How does he know that? Is it more important to finish my time with Em?

This is why community (as I mentioned above) is so important. When we are in community and in the church we are (hopefully) willing to give the benefit of the doubt. We understand that there is no disrespect. There are only messy lives that are being led to the best of our ability and we are joyful as we join into that with one another. Does this community always work the way it is intended? No, but it must be forgiving and full of grace because if it is not, then it is not the church.

Schedule is important. It is how I know that my meetings are going to happen and thus that our worship gatherings will be planned. It is how I know that I am even meeting with Dan or with Emily, but all must be understood in the context of broken and fallen people that are daily offering up the simple prayer, "God have mercy on me, a sinner."

1 comment:

john o'keefe said...

very cool - and so the conversation begins :) the idea is not to come to a conclusion that "this is the answer" but to be willint to discuss the possibilities - and that is what you are doing here - very cool :)