Monday, April 09, 2007

What If We're Wrong?

I continue to go over the issues plaguing The Episcopal Church. I consider the looming split in our communion over the issue of sexuality (and I am convinced it is an issue of sexuality and not an issue of the authority of scripture) and I wonder why the Communion cannot even entertain the idea that we may be wrong.

We no longer worry about whether someone has been baptized more than once, we are simply concerned that they are baptized. We believe that only one baptism is necessary, but if the church decided that we must be baptized again as adults, would we split over it?

The Trinity is one of the most confusing doctrines in the church, if some of us decided we believed in modalism, would we split?

These are issues that were such a big deal to the early church that they wrote responses into the creeds and yet now I doubt it would create the crisis that we have today.

What if we're wrong?

No comments: