Friday, April 01, 2005

A Response to "And They Claim Love :)"

I do not know the particular arguments that make up the mohler/mclaren debate, but something that John says strikes a chord.

"For me, I am of the mind that for the conversation to move forward, and to truly be emerging we need to truly and openly be able to question everything, and the "mohler camp" would rather we just accept their views and never question" (Spelling correction added).

I have the opportunity to go to another emergent conference this month. It has been over three years since I have attended one, but from that first one I was freed from the bondage of simply accepting the views I had (that I had been given) and never questioning. I was allowed to ask tough questions. Questions that my heart had been asking all along. Questions I had simply quelled becuase of course I had the answers somewhere...I just hadn't found them yet.

Over the past few years I have realized that God is not afraid of my questions. They are child's play to him. He is real and he is truth. No amount of questioning and doubting and heresy will ever change that fact. However, what that questioning and doubting and heresy has changed is me. It has allowed me to break out of the know-it-all legalism of my youth and into a (sometimes) humble place of realization...that I only understand a small portion of truth. Truth is so much bigger than me that I can never hope to box it up and mass produce it and ship it off. I tried for much of my life and it doesn't work.

The truth of God is big and it is beautiful and left alone from our meddling it can speak volumes to the broken and battered souls that we encounter everyday (including our own). The truth of God is real and it will redeem this world, but we will not be a part of that if we insist on being able to fully know it.

I don't ever want to have all the answers again. I don't ever want to have more answers than questions. I say ask the questions and join the dance.

No comments: