Monday, January 05, 2009

Imputation

Imputation is a strange word that theologians have used in attempt to describe the way we become righteous.  It means that we are righteous because we are declared so on the basis of Jesus' merit alone. It is righteousness given to us. It is not righteousness we earn with God's help.

To be honest, I am not even sure I have defined it well, but definitions are usually less helpful than illustrations.  So, here is today's story of imputation...

I am a newly ordained priest who for the first time is living his vocation as opposed to preparing for it. Now that I am here, I am terrified that I will not be a good priest.  Terrified because I have invested so much in this. Terrified because I truly believe it to be my call.  Terrified because it is the only thing that makes sense to me to do with my life...what if I can't cut it?

Today, I received a letter from a woman who has visited our church a few times.  The letter was written to tell me I would be a wonderful priest, that she knew I became a priest for all the right reasons.  I cannot describe in words the encouragement that she offered me through such a simple gesture.  Anxiousness fell away, fear dissipated, and I am left with love and joy.

I didn't do anything to illicit such a response.  She has little evidence of me being any good at this. There are many people better suited to make such a judgment and many of them may disagree with her conclusion, but she told me I would be a wonderful priest and it doesn't even matter if empirically speaking she is right, because it makes me so.

I may not be able to define imputation well, but I can say that this letter has made me a better priest than four years of seminary combined.

No comments: