Friday, April 10, 2009

A Foot Washing on a Thursday

I cannot remember ever attending a traditional Maunday Thursday service before serving at ours yesterday. I have been to a number of seder dinners and informal gatherings, but never a service in a church with the foot washing up front among people that don't all know each other intimately.

It was a powerful experience. That shouldn't be surprising, but it was. I was blown away by the meaning and depth of that simple experience. I have always prided myself at being very open and okay with being vulnerable or exposed, even around people I don't know too well. Nevertheless, last night I was intimidated by the exposure of having your feet washed by someone you don't know that well.

It was beautiful and incredible and when it was combined with the powerful display of the stripping of the altar I melted. Thank you Lord for loving me. For giving your son for a slave like me.

No comments: