Friday, March 11, 2005

Moving On After 11 Years

When I was in eighth grade I made the biggest mistake of my life and to this day it is the only single action that I regret. While it was a part of shaping me into who I am today, I am sorry that it happened. I went home early from school and was lying on the couch and somehow got the good idea to go down the street to the house of one of my old best friends (that I hadn't talked to in years) and break into his house. I stole a bunch of different things and took off. Long story short, I was almost arrested when I was turned in by someone I had told at school. The only reason I didn't go to juvee was because the family didn't want to press charges.

I did not talk to the family for 10 years when I saw my old best friend last year and apologized. I figured it was over, until last night. I walked into a prayer meeting that I had helped organize and walked by a man that could only have been the father who had let me off the hook years before. He happened to be the new pastor of the church where we were meeting. Quite a surprise to say the least.

I spoke to him after the meeting and apologized to him formally. I hadn't even seen him since long before the incident and he didn't recognize me, but we talked and it was good. We have both done things we regret and he was quick to forgive. I guess I am so impressed by the encounter because it was something that had long since passed in my life. It had been reduced to an anecdote in my testimony, but it is more than that. It was an action that hurt a family whom I loved. I can never forget that part of it. There was damage done by my actions and it must always remain a reminder of who I am in the flesh and the things that I am capable of when I act out of brokenness and pain. I will not quickly forget last night.

1 comment:

k.o. said...

i am really proud of you. it's stuff like this that really makes us who we are...it is always good for us to revisit our past and learn from it. we can see who we were and who we are now and it makes us eager to see who we will become--all because of god's grace and the mercy found in the cross.