Tuesday, March 01, 2005

This Struck Me

Ex. 28:36-38

Make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it as on a seal: HOLY TO THE LORD. Fasten a blue cord to it to attach it to the turban; it is to be on the front of the turban. It will be on Aaron’s forehead, and he will bear the guilt involved in the sacred gifts the Israelites consecrate, whatever their gifts may be. It will be on Aaron’s forehead continually so that they will be acceptable to the LORD. [NIV]


Jesus is called the "Great High Priest" in Hebrews. In Exodus, it appear that Aaron, the first high priest, is actually who takes the guilt of he that offered sacrifices. I have always been taught that the guilt of the person was transferred to the sacrificial animal and then it was slaughtered. However, when I go back to Leviticus, I do not see any mention of a transfer of guilt to the animal. Later in Leviticus, it mentions that when a man with guilt on his head comes with a sacrifice the priest will make atonement for the man (Lev 5: 17-19).

It does not mention Aaron being responsible for the guilt, but instead, he is told to wear a plate that declares him "HOLY TO THE LORD." The high priest takes on the guilt of the sinner and is declared holy before the Lord. This is exactly what Jesus does on the cross.

While I do not see anything unusual in this comparison, I feel there has to be some implications that I am not seeing immediately. If nothing else, it gives sets a precedent for the idea of Christ taking our sins upon himself. Maybe it is simply that I had never noticed this before, but it struck me as very interesting.

And to think I almost skipped over the temple specifications, "I have read thos all before, what else could I find in them." I am an ass.

No comments: